PBCN 2014 ELECTION ACT SURVEY:
Please review and fill out the survey below:
1. Appeals committee will be changed to Appeals Tribunal. Any PBCN member who has experience in policy or election act will be able to sit in the Appeals Tribunal. Do you think this will improve the appeals process?
2. Currently the guidelines for Chief and Council are vague in terms of standards of conduct while in office. Should conflict of interest be clearly stated in the new election of 2014? How would you want them stated?
3. Do we need additional Councillors in any PBCN communities?
4. Presently the average cost to hold PBCN election is about $90,000 to $120,000. Indian Northern Affairs Canada provides approximately $50,000.00 and rest from the Band. The amended act if passed will increase the cost to hold fair elections. Should there be seperate budget just for the administration of PBCN elections?
5. The Present Election Act is silent in terms of who should enforce the rules and governence of the new election act and the elected officials. Communities have suggested the Council of Elders be fully implemented. The Council of Elders will have to be screened then voted on by members during nomination night for a term. The council of Elders will have certain powers such as removal of an elected member from office eccording to policy or guidelines. Do you agree?
6. Do you think PBCN members, who reside in other places other than the designated reserves/communities should be given an opportunity to cast their votes? Secure on line voting can be explored for Chief only?
7. Should there be more clear rules and regulations regarding loitering at polling stations. Should there be fund raising or candidates hanging around close to the polling station on voting dates?
8. Present Chief and Council are elected to office for 2 years. Should the term of office be changed or remain the same?
9. There are currently no rules or regulation in regards to using social media in the election draft of 2014. Do you want rules drafted and how would they be enforced?
10. There are more rules and regulations for Chief and Council in the proposed election act of 2014. Such as reside in community where elected, cannot miss more than 3 meetings, provide cipic, fee to run for Chief and Council, scheduled community meetings, conflict of interest rules, to be more transparent and accountable, and so on. Elders to enforce all the election rules and regulations. Did you want to add anything which can be useful to the present proposed act of 2014?